Criminal lawyers pride themselves in their zealous defense tactics and their aggressive defense style for defending those who have been accused of committing a crime. Criminal attorneys handle various cases, from speeding and traffic violations, to the most serious felonies. A criminal lawyer Calgary will defend clients in district, superior and municipal courts.
Criminal Attorney Standards
Criminal lawyers pay close attention to every detail in each specific case. Criminal defense attorneys work hard to achieve the best outcome for each case they handle. Specific facts of a criminal case are assessed to determine the best approach for the case. Criminal defense attorneys work hard for anyone accused of a crime, even individuals who have problematic cases.
Misdemeanor and Felony Representation
Criminal defense representatives are experts in criminal law and practice their defense tactics in the following areas:
- Driving with a Revoked License
- Driving with a Suspended License
- DUI-Drunk Driving
- BWI-Operating a Boat while Intoxicated
- Hit and Run
- Giving False Information to a Police Official
- Malicious Mischief in the 3rd Degree
- Minor in Possession of Alcohol or a Controlled Substance
- Driving Negligence in the 1st Degree
- 1st and 3rd Degree Trespassing
- Drug Paraphernalia Possession
- Marijuana Possession under 40 grams
- Justice Obstruction
- Identity Theft
- Injury Accidents caused by a Hit & Run
- 1st and 2nd Degree Malicious Mischief
- 1st and 2nd Degree Possession of Stolen Property
- Theft of a Motor Vehicle
- 1st and 2nd Degree Theft
- 1st and 2nd Degree Trafficking Within Stolen Property
- 1st and 2nd Degree Unlawful Possession of a FirearmFelonies are the most serious crimes. A charge must carry a potential punishment in excess of one year imprisonment to be considered a felony.
Pre-Arrest Investigation Process
In most instances, arrests are not made prior to a complete investigation. The investigation may take weeks to complete or can be done within minutes. Individuals who think they are being investigated need to obtain the help of a criminal attorney. Police questioning is the most crucial point in a case, and unfortunately, this is the point when many suspects provide incriminating evidence to the police.
Many individuals who are under investigation agree to allow police to search their vehicles, participate in roadside testing and talk to police officials without protecting their own rights with legal representation. Individuals who are pending an arrest are not required to provide any information to police officials, except for their identification information. Remain silent and request a defense attorney if you are held and questioned by the police.
Bond and Arraignment
Arraignment is the process in which the alleged charges against an individual are read. Arraignments often happen within two days of an individual being taken into custody. If an individual is cited and then released, the arraignment will occur within a 14 day period following the arrest. During the arraignment process, arrested individuals must enter their plea. This is a good time to request a criminal attorney if an opportunity has not been given. Individuals must not enter a plea prior to speaking with a defense attorney.
Bond amounts are based on multiple factors and may include the likelihood that the individual will appear in court, the possibility of witness tampering, and the likelihood that the individual imposes a danger to themselves or others.